Marine Corp Marathon

Labels: , ,

"To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who's never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind."
 Jerome Drayton

I am off to Washington D.C. this weekend to run the Marine Corp Marathon. In reality, it’s more about surviving then running. At the pace I move, the majority of people in the race will be in front of me. My marathon is more like a jogging/walking tour of DC.

This is my second marathon. The last marathon was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I almost died at least three times (joking), and the last 8 miles were absolutely brutal. I hope that isn’t the story for this one. Hopefully, I beat my 4:54 marathon in Charlotte.

This week the most common question I got asked is, “Are you excited about the marathon?” The answer, “Not really.” So I asked the question, why in the world do I do this? The crazy thing is that’s an easy question to answer, “Because I love what it does for me.”

You see I have always struggled with my weight (since about 9th grade) so I know what it means not to be able to run and play with your kids (or friends). I know what it feels like to be the one who is always referred to as “big guy.” Running marathons is something that gives me freedom from the constant struggle of my weight. I don’t know why, it just seems to motivate me to watch what I eat and exercise, which are two important things for weight management.

Now what happens after the marathon, you never know. I wish I could say, “Of course I will not gain any weight back.” But we all know that is foolish talk. Life is full of struggles. The crazy thing is one of my life struggles will be sitting there waiting for me on Monday.

This weekend, however, it’s a celebration of the accomplishment of making it to the starting line lighter than I have been in 20 years. Next week is a celebration of crossing the finish line.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment